Price Of Bread Falls In Zimbabwe
Weary Zimbabweans citizens will be happy to learn of the fall of the price of bread, following weeks in which
Following weeks of constant price increases weary Zimbabweans will be happy to receive a little dose of good news as the price of bread falls. A standard loaf will now be retailing for Z$66 down from Z$79. In some shops, bread was actually selling for more than $80 per loaf with some going as high as ZWL$87.
The fall in the price of bread was announced by the Grain Millers Association of Zimbabwe (GMAZ) who revealed that the price of bread will now be tied to the official foreign currency rate as determined by the weekly foreign currency auction.
iHarare is publishing the full statement from the Grain Millers Association of Zimbabwe announcing the fall in the price of bread,
PRESS STATEMENT ON THE FALL OF BREAD PRICES
1. In May 2020, Grain Marketing Board advised millers that they had run out of wheat and millers had to import on their own to meet market requirements. This led millers to resume imports using free funds. Regrettably, the price of bread flour could not be stabilised as before as it was now susceptible to vagaries of moving rate. Consequently, In the past 8 weeks, bread prices moved from ZWD18 per standard loaf of bread to the current price of ZWD79.00 per standard loaf of bread largely on account of flour. Equally affected was also the rest of confectionery and biscuit products.
2. Admittedly, the price of bread, a necessity in all households, had become expensive and indeed worsened the cost of living. Following the re-establishment of the Foreign Currency Auction System by Reserve Bank, GMAZ has had fruitful discussions with the RBZ Governor, Dr Mangudya, whereupon foreign currency allocations to millers are now being made.
3. Asa result, on behalf of wheat millers, I am pleased to advise that the cost of bread flour, with effect from 3July 2020, has been reduced from ZWD3,150/50kg to ZWD2,136.89.
4. Consequently, the bakers have committed to reduce the price of a standard loaf of bread from Wholesale Price of ZWD70.00 and Retail Price of ZWD79.00 to Wholesale Price of ZWD59.00 and Retail Price of ZWD66.00. From now on, our prices will be guided by the Foreign Currency Auction outcomes.
5. Further, GMAZ private wheat imports are continuing and we are endeavouring to ensure national adequate supplies between now and December 31,2020.
Articles You May Want To Read,
- Shocker As Zimbabwe Hospital Demands US$5000 From Covid-19 Patients
- Here Are The Shocking New Prices Of Blood In Zimbabwe From June 2020
- JUST IN: City Of Harare In A U-Turn Over Its Hiked Parking Charges – Old Rates To Continue
IMPORTANT NOTICE:Access LIVE News, Jobs and Exchange rates directly on WhatsApp. Send a WhatsApp message with the word HIE to +263718636522 or just CLICK HERE to try it out. iHarare is now a information one-stop-shop. Please click on the links highlighted in Red to access News, Events, Jobs, Pricecheck, Classifieds, Dating and Education services by iHarare.For any queries contact us by CLICKING HERE .
The post Good News As Price Of Bread Falls In Zimbabwe…Price Now Linked To Forex Auctions appeared first on iHarare News.