Govt Will Be Striking Civil Servants From The Payroll
The government has issued a statement warning that it will be striking off civil servants of the payroll in two weeks. This is part of the government’s efforts to flush out phantom workers, informally referred to as ghost workers, who are used to siphon funds from the government by corrupt officials.
To counter the rampant corruption and weed out ghost workers, the government introduced biometric identification of ghost workers in August. The government, through the Public Service Commission, has since warned all civil servants that they risk being struck off the payroll unless they verify their identities on the biometric system before the end of the month.
In the statement the Public Services Commission (PSC) says,
(The) Insistence by Government on confirmation and validation of employment of members whose data has been missing has realized a significant response.
All members who remained non-compliant as at 28 February 2020 will be struck off the payroll. Please further note that the affected members should direct any issues arising through the Ministry.
Below is the directive from the Public Service Commission which iHarare is publishing in its entirety.
RE: BIOMETRIC REGISTRATION STATUS UPDATE FOR THE MEMBERS OF THE ZIMBABWE PUBLIC SERVICE WHO ARE ON THE SALARY SERVICE BUREAU PAYROLL
1. The Government of Zimbabwe, constituted a Steering Committee under the whole of Government approach, comprised of senior officials from key government entities to embark on a project to validate the government payroll through a Biometric Authentication process. The Steering Committee is chaired by the Secretary to the Public Service Commission (PSC).
2. The authentication process requires that every member on the payroll h. biometric attributes in the Registrar General’s database. The Registrar General’s Department has been capturing biometric attributes of citizens since the introduction of the new biometric compliant polythene Identity Document and during issuance of the new passport.
3. Records of all members on the Salary Service Bureau payroll were subsequently analysed for biometric attributes in the Registrar General’s database. The members who were found without the required attributes were notified and advised to go to their nearest Registrar General’s office and be issued with the biometric compliant Identification Documents.
4. This exercise was conducted from August 2019 to 31 September 2019 and was extended to 31 October 2019. The response on validation has been most encouraging, Government further extended the deadline to 28 February 2020. Verification and re-verification is part of the methodology being implemented to mitigate the consequences of error.
5. Insistence by Government on confirmation and validation of employment of members whose data has been missing has realized a significant response.
6. All members who remained non-compliant as at 28 February 2020 will be struck off the payroll. Please further note that the affected members should direct any issues arising through the Ministry.
7. This brings closure to Phase I.
Phase 2 will be the implementation of an Application Programme Interface (API) to enable the Salary Service Bureau payroll to authenticate all members to be paid with the Registrar Generals database before every pay run.
AMBASSADOR J. WUTAWUNASHE
PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
A New Public Service for a New Economy
You May Also Be Interested In:
To View and Apply for the latest Jobs and Vacancies in Zimbabwe, Please Visit our Sister website iHarare Jobs
For the latest Exchange Rates and prices of groceries, meat, fuel e.t.c please visit our sister website iHarare Price Check
The post Here Is Why The Govt Will Be Striking Civil Servants From The Payroll In 2 Weeks appeared first on iHarare News.